Thursday, March 20, 2014

Military life: change

I've said this so many times I feel as if I preach it; nothing is set in stone.

When Chance and I began dating I learned this fast. Underway dates changed, duty changed, leave dates changed... everything was changing. Change is something you must accept when being married to someone in the military. At times I would get so hyped up about a certain day off or some sort of cancellation only for it to change.

The biggest example has to be this past deployment. The set dates were January 6- August 20. This was pushed back and homecomibg was set for September 5. A month before time to set sail the date jumped forward to December 28. So many changes had happened before Chance ever left and I was feeling bummed. That wasn't the end though, a couple weeks before he was suppose to arrive home things in Syria started popping off and the ship was delayed indefinitely. Eventually Chance made it home and all was well but I was over things changing.

Since Chance went to shore duty in November the changes we have faced have been nothing but good. Work lets him off whenever and he's been able to accompany me to all of my appointments. We've recently faced another challenge with our living situations. Our apartment is closing in so Chance took one for the team and chose to stay in so that we could buy a home and the boys could have room to grow. This offered me an opportunity to head back to school. I was getting really excited and began my research on what the schools required. This bubble has been popped because the Navy has hit our family with another change. Chance will be returning to the watch floor and the schedule will all kinds of crazy.  It's a downer but we're dealing with it.

The military life is full of changes. Nothing will ever stay the same or go as planned. If it does consider yourself to be lucky and embrace it. Remeber to be flexable and don't get stuck on what should happen.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100%. Joes on shore duty and every week or so they come up with something to send him away for training or assessing and more.. In the 2.6 years of shore duty he's been home less then a year of it. Feels like sea duty never ended.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think :)